Kasuwan Magani community, in Kajuru Local Government Area of Kaduna State, witnessed a fresh round of violence which erupted between Kadara and Hausa youths over allege abduction and forceful conversion of some girls by a religious group.
The crisis was said to have started Monday morning over allegations that a lady was about to be converted to a different faith. At least seven people were killed in the crisis, with many sustaining injuries while a lot of buildings were set ablaze in the incident, including the two biggest hotels in the town.
According to a media source, there have been tension in the area since last week over some social issues and youths across the religious divide were agitated as they traded accusations, and youths from both sides clashed, resulting in one stabbing.
After the initial fight, some of the youths were said to have retreated after the incident and later mobilized and started burning houses perceived to be owned by the people of different faiths and in the bid to stop them heavy fighting ensued between the two sides and more casualties were recorded.
Kasuwan Magani is 31 kilometers away from Kaduna city, and is located on the highway that links the state to Plateau, Nasarawa and Benue states. Commuters plying the highway as well as the southern part of Kaduna state were stranded for several hours as there was no vehicular movement in the heat of the crisis.
The Police have however mobilized to the area to ensure there’s no further breakdown of law and order. The Police public relations officer, ASP Mukhtar Hussain Aliyu, who confirmed the clash, said the Police received a distress call in the morning and the Commissioner of Police quickly dispatched a team led by the Assistant Commissioner of Police (Operations) to the area. He said the unit has been joined by men of Operation Yaki and the Mobile Police Force unit and they have succeeded in bringing the situation under control.
Meanwhile, Samuel Aruwan, Senior Special Assistant (Media and Publicity) to Governor Nasir el-Rufa’i, disclosed that the Governor has directed the prosecution of all persons responsible for the Monday mayhem, saying that “security agencies must investigate the unfortunate incident, arrest and make available for prosecution the perpetrators.”
According to Aruwan, the government has directed the State Emergency Management Agency to take inventory of damages and provide relief materials with immediate effect. The statement added that security forces have been deployed to contain the situation, protect lives and properties and to prevent any further breakdown of law and order, while urging all citizens and communities to reject violence and division, and uphold their neighbours in peace and harmony.