No fewer than four persons were shot dead by a gunman on Friday night in Kogo Nindem village of Godogodo District, Jema’a Local Government Area of Kaduna State. The incident, which occurred during the village Christmas Carol, also left about 10 other people critically injured.

Commander of Operation Safe Haven in the area, Colonel Idong Ekpeyong, who stated this while addressing newsmen on Saturday in Kafanchan, said the gunman invaded the village as the residents were holding a Christmas Carol at the community square at about 9:00 p.m. and started shooting sporadically.

Colonel Ekpeyong said the bodies of the dead victims had been deposited in a mortuary while the wounded persons were taken to the Kafanchan General Hospital for treatment.

According to the Colonel, troops of the Operation Safe Haven responded to a distress call over the attack and conducted a rapid operation in suspected locations and apprehended a number of people who are still under examination.

“Some people suspected to be masterminds of the attack have been arrested for further interrogation, while more troops have been deployed to the area to avert a fresh attack or reprisal,” he said, adding that investigation into the event was ongoing in collaboration with the Nigeria Police.

He however said additional enforcement in the area has been effected to prevent likelihood of breakdown of law and order.

The area, which has earlier in the year suffered serious security threat has since been peaceful until this latest attack yesterday night.

Kaduna State Governor, Nasir el-Rufa’i, in a statement issued by his Spokesman, Samuel Aruwan, said: “The Kaduna State Government has condemned the Friday night attack at Nindem village, Jema’a Local Government Area.

“Security forces have informed the Kaduna State Government that there was an attack in Nimdem village on the night of Friday, 22nd December 2017. The government was further briefed that arrests have been made and investigation is ongoing.

“The government condemns this incident, and calls on all stakeholders to help uphold peace by working to avoid escalation and by supporting the security forces.
“Government commiserates with the families of the victims in this sad moment. The grief and pain these acts of violence leave in their wake can be devastating. It is important that all communities stand firm against any threat to peace, and reject those who might want to reprise the terrible events of December 2016.
“Government appeals for calm as security forces take action to restore peace and stability. Nobody should be allowed to truncate the right of citizens to live in peace and enjoy safety, or thwart their legitimate expectations of celebrating Christmas and the New Year in peace,” the statement read.